Keg & Case Market
Keg and Case Market transformed the historic Schmidt Brewery Keg House into an inspirational model for historic preservation and revitalization. The market is located in the Jacob Schmidt Brewing Company Historic District in Saint Paul, Minnesota. The district encompasses Schmidt Brewery, which was founded in 1901 and changed hands multiple times until the last kegs filled with Grain Belt and Pig’s Eye left the Keg House in 2002. In 2012, the Schmidt Brewery Bottling Department Building, located across the street from the Keg House, was redeveloped into artists’ lofts, creating a catalyst for the Keg House redevelopment. The continued restoration of this iconic district has reinvigorated the neighborhood and created a vibrant gathering space for users across the region. The market is a vibrant community hub that revitalized the neighborhood and earned accolades in USA Today as “Best New Food Hall” in America.
The design team incorporated sustainable practices with a variety of construction techniques and material choices:
- Pervious pavers infiltrate and treat the stormwater.
- Salvaged concrete slabs serve as retaining walls for patio spaces.
- LED lighting throughout the site lowers overall energy consumption.
- Native vegetation honors the history of the site and reduces future maintenance and irrigation.
- Structural soils provide beneficial growing conditions for trees lining the streets.